Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog ate chocolate cake, 1 yr old 10 pounds, Puppy, She…

Customer Question
My dog ate chocolate...

My dog ate chocolate cake

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. The Expert will know if your dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?

1 yr old 10 pounds

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name?

Puppy

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Puppy?

She had diarrhea and vomit

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
I️ do not have a car or means to take the dog to a vet. Can I️ give hydrogen peroxide
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
I️ can not wait long as this is toxic to my dog please respond
11/16/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Beth, Dog Veterinarian replied 9 months ago
Dr. Beth
Dr. Beth, Dog Veterinarian

Hi, I'm Dr. Beth - I will try to help though I do not have calling capability - how long ago did she eat it? Do you know about how much she ate?

Was it a cake mix or something from scratch with cocoa powder or baking chocolate?

Something from scratch as it came f one a bakery. She ate it about 10 am about 3 hrs ago

OK - do you know if it is dark chocolate or milk chocolate?

And did she eat the whole cake or just a piece?

It was a medium size piece of cake
One medium slice
red velvet

Perfect - so for that size, and her weight, it should not be toxic for the amount of chocolate that would be in there, but it definitely could cause a tummy ache. How long ago did she have the vomit and diarrhea?

About30-45 minutes ago
Should I️ enduce vomiting with hydrogen peroxide

Ok, so that should lessen what is in her system too. She shouldn't need any peroxide for more vomiting.

It never hurts to give their tummy a break for at least a few hours when they've eaten something they aren't used to, even if she brought everything up there can be residual stomach upset sometimes for a day or two. Later today you could try some 'bland' food - chicken and rice (or some other low fat protein and low fiber starch in equal parts), start with a small amount to make sure we keep it down, and can continue for a few meals just so what is going through is easily digestible.

If she can't keep anything down, or is continuing to vomit overnight, or seeming to be in distress, it would never be overly cautious to check with your regular vet. But with an empty tummy for a bit then trying a little bland food today and tomorrow, she likely won't need anything else.

Does that help?

For now that should help
I️ may need more help later if anything else happens

I'll be off and on the site here the rest of the day - if you have any other questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

If the information I've provided has been helpful, I hope you'll take a moment to rate my service positively by clicking on the star rating system (or if you are not seeing the stars you can leave a written rating of 1-5, 5 being great service). Until you issue a rating of 3 or better, the website will not compensate me for helping you, and taking the time to answer these questions helps me to support my family. You'll still be able to chat with me even after giving a rating, at no further charge on this thread. My goal is to give you 5 star service - keep in mind you are rating only my help, not any site or interface issues you might have. It is valuable feedback for me and for other pet owners as they seek help for their pets.

If you'd like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: https://www.justanswer.com/veterinary/expert-drbethg/?rpt=3800