Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog is a 15 yr old mixed breed with arthritic hips,

Customer Question
My dog is a...

My dog is a 15 yr old mixed breed with arthritic hips, thyroid issues and blindness. He is prescribed tramadol for pain relief, a thyroid medication to get that under control, glucosamine, and an anti-inflammatory type tylenol product. We are just trying to keep him comfortable in his final portion of life. Last night he started having chin tremors he's never done that before and I am not sure if I should be worried.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your dog?

Nothing I can think of.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
11/16/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian replied 8 months ago
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I AM NOT SET UP TO MAKE PHONE CALLS, BUT I WOULD BE HAPPY TO ANSWER ANY QUESTIONS YOU HAVE ONLINE. THE WEBSITE SENDS THE REQUESTS; NOT MYSELF. In order to give an informative and concise answer, it may take a few minutes before I respond back to you, so don't be alarmed if you don't hear back immediately. If you have not responded back in 10 minutes, it may be a longer before I can get back to you. I do have a couple more questions, though, to see if I can better assess your situation.

Do you know the name of the anti-inflammatory medication (Tylenol is not really an anti-inflammatory and can be very toxic to the liver in dogs)?

Is he eating and acting normal otherwise?

Rimadyl - 75mg (1/2 pill twice daily)
Soloxine - .4mg twice daily
Tramadol - 50mg twice daily
Glucosamine - 1500mg twice dailyHe has been on these medications for nearly 4 months. He eats one cup of Beneful Incredibites two times daily. Since his hips aren't too good or strong, he spends most of his time lying on the couch hanging out with whomever is home. He is having difficulty with urinary incontinence and needs to be taken out much more frequently. His bowel movements are regular and seem healthy. The tremors have happened three times in the past three days. I have not paid attention to when they happen in relation to giving him the medications.

Thanks for the information. Unless the issue is getting worse, it most likely isn't a serious issue. It could be an anxiety problem, jaw pain or mild muscular tremors. Not uncommon to see with geriatric dogs. Usually if they are eating well, moving around well, not having other problems, and the symptom is not getting worse; it should be okay to monitor. If it does get worse, then your vet should do a full exam. I may even consider adding gabapentin for pain control. It acts more on the neurologic system and may stop those tremors. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. IF YOU ARE SATISFIED WITH MY ANSWER, PLEASE RATE IT. Rating it is the only way I get compensated for helping you, and we can still continue our conversation after rating. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Asking more specific questions usually helps a lot. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.

Dog Veterinarian: Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian replied 7 months ago

Hello. I was just following up to see how your dog is doing and to see if you have any other questions.