Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

I have a beagel who is 11 years old. Her stomach seams to be

Customer Question
swollen, it hurts her when...
I have a beagel who is 11 years old. Her stomach seams to be swollen, it hurts her when we touch it. What do you think it could be?
Submitted: 30 days ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
11/16/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian replied 30 days ago
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I AM NOT SET UP TO MAKE PHONE CALLS, BUT I WOULD BE HAPPY TO ANSWER ANY QUESTIONS YOU HAVE ONLINE. THE WEBSITE SENDS THE REQUESTS; NOT MYSELF. Unless it is abnormal fat buildup, an enlarged abdomen usually is due to fluid buildup in the abdomen or enlargement of an organ, which can include gas trapped in the stomach or a tumor. Fluid buildup can come a bleeding mass, right sided heart failure, liver problems, kidney problem or chronic gastrointestinal problems. A painful abdomen can be seen with pancreatitis, but that shouldn't cause a swollen abdomen. It can also be caused by a twisted loop of bowel or stomach with air filling it up, but that usually is very painful. My best advice is to have her examined by your vet and get an x-ray. There is a good chance they will want to run blood work as well, especially if it is fluid buildup. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. IF YOU ARE SATISFIED WITH MY ANSWER, PLEASE RATE IT. Rating it is the only way I get compensated for helping you, and we can still continue our conversation after rating. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Asking more specific questions usually helps a lot. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.

Dog Veterinarian: Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian replied 26 days ago

Hello. I was just following up to see how your Beagle is doing and to see if you have any other questions.

Dr. John
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian