Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I have a pug and she acts like she has pulled a muscle in…

Customer Question
I have a pug...

I have a pug and she acts like she has pulled a muscle in her back or hips. What can I do for her?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?

Tinkerbell and 6 years

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Tinkerbell?

No not that I no of

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
11/16/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian replied 9 months ago
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I AM NOT SET UP TO MAKE PHONE CALLS, BUT I WOULD BE HAPPY TO ANSWER ANY QUESTIONS YOU HAVE ONLINE. THE WEBSITE SENDS THE REQUESTS; NOT MYSELF. In order to give an informative and concise answer, it may take a few minutes before I respond back to you, so don't be alarmed if you don't hear back immediately. If you have not responded back in 10 minutes, it may be a longer before I can get back to you. I do have a couple more questions, though, to see if I can better assess your situation.

What symptoms is she showing right now?

How long has this been going on for?

She has a hard time walking and after she lays for a while her back legs are weak. She pants alot. It has been going for about three or four days. I took her in to get her toe nails cliped and she jerked and she has been acting this way sence

Thanks for the information. It is possible it could be an injury to the rear limbs, but it has been going on long enough to make me concerned there is something going on as well. It may be a small fracture, especially in the hip, if she jerked very hard or fell down. It could also be a herniated disk in her back. There are no human OTC pain medications that are consider completely safe for dogs. Enteric coated aspirin (walkervalleyvet.com/otc-meds.htm) is the only one that is somewhat safe, but it can still cause gastrointestinal problems, including bleeding, and kidney problems and may interfere with other medications you vet may want to use, so I don't usually recommend it. It would probably be better to have her fully evaluated by your vet and potentially get x-rays. At the very least, they can get her on safer pain medications. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. IF YOU ARE SATISFIED WITH MY ANSWER, PLEASE RATE IT. Rating it is the only way I get compensated for helping you, and we can still continue our conversation after rating. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Asking more specific questions usually helps a lot. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. John

Hello. I was just following up to see how Tinkerbell is doing and to see if you have any other questions.