Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog is shaky and lost control of her bowels and unable to…

Customer Question
My dog is shaky...

My dog is shaky and lost control of her bowels and unable to stand up without her back legs give out and she falls down her nose isn't cold and wet but not totally hot or dry

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. How old is Shaky?

She's about 15yrs or so,

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Shaky?

Not that I know of, she looks exhausted and is trembling

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
11/16/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian replied 7 months ago
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I AM NOT SET UP TO MAKE PHONE CALLS, BUT I WOULD BE HAPPY TO ANSWER ANY QUESTIONS YOU HAVE ONLINE. THE WEBSITE SENDS THE REQUESTS; NOT MYSELF. You cannot rule out a metabolic cause for weakness in the rear end, such as liver or kidney problems or even a neuromuscular disease like myasthenia gravis, but I would be more concern about some type of spinal cord disease first. A herniated disk causing compression on the spinal cord is the most common cause, especially if this came on quickly, but you cannot completely rule out trauma to the rear end, severe arthritis, a spinal tumor, vertebral instability or an infection the vertebrae. I would have your vet do a full exam on her to help try to determine this and possibly get some blood work and x-rays. If the exam show pain in the back, they may just want to put her on some pain medications and strict rest. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. IF YOU ARE SATISFIED WITH MY ANSWER, PLEASE RATE IT. Rating it is the only way I get compensated for helping you, and we can still continue our conversation after rating. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Asking more specific questions usually helps a lot. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. John

Hello. I was just following up to see how your dog is doing and to see if you have any other questions.