Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

At 06:19 this morning my 12 pound puppy ate one of my 75 MCG…

Customer Question
At 06:19 this morning...

At 06:19 this morning my 12 pound ***** ***** puppy ate one of my 75 MCG Synthroid tablet. I dropped it and he sucked it up. I tried to get it out of his mouth, tried to get him to throw up, no luck. He has a VET appointment today at 9:45AM for other issues. Please advise. Thank you ***** *****

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. The Expert will know if the puppy will be able to digest that. What is the jack's name?

HIs name is ***** ***** he is 9 months old.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Augie?

No, he is health and full of energy.

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
11/16/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian replied 5 months ago
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian

Hi. My name is***** Thank you for your question about Augie. With time zones a factor, how long ago did he eat this single 75 mg Synthroid tablet? Is he on any other medications? What are the other issues that he has that you have the 9:45 appointment set up for?

For a dog his size to eat a single 75 mcg sythroid tablet, it shouldn't be a problem at all. This ingestion would actually be less than what a dog with hypothyroidism would be treated with daily. It takes very, very, very large doses of synthroid being ingested to cause an acute toxicity issue. This single pill ingestion is no where near a level that would be an issue. There isn't a need to do anything for this or to have any great worries

Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian