Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog isn’t eating, throwing up bile tinted pink, and

Customer Question
Hi... my dog isn’t...

Hi... my dog isn’t eating, throwing up bile tinted pink, and pooping liquid blood.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did your dog eat anything unusual?

No. Same stuff as usual.

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. The Expert will know what to do. What is the dog's name and age?

If anything he licked a puddle at the park the otherday

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your dog?

Franklin - just turned 3

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
11/16/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian replied 5 months ago
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I AM NOT SET UP TO MAKE PHONE CALLS, BUT I WOULD BE HAPPY TO ANSWER ANY QUESTIONS YOU HAVE ONLINE. THE WEBSITE SENDS THE REQUESTS; NOT MYSELF. There are a few things that could cause the issues you are seeing. It could be something he ate causing a foreign body obstruction or something toxic causing damage to the gastrointestinal tract. I would also be concern about some sort of bacterial or parasitic infection. If the stool is almost pure blood, hemorrhagic gastroenteritis (HGE) would be a primary concern, and that can be serious. HGE usually results from the reaction of the intestinal tract to certain bacterial toxins. It could be something that he ingested. My best advice to you at this point is to get him to your vet immediately. This isn't something that can be treated at home or take a "wait and see" approach with. If it is HGE, it can result in a blood clotting problem that can be very difficult to treat. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. IF YOU ARE SATISFIED WITH MY ANSWER, PLEASE RATE IT. Rating it is the only way I get compensated for helping you, and we can still continue our conversation after rating. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Asking more specific questions usually helps a lot. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.

Hello. I was just following up to see how Franklin is doing and to see if you have any other questions.

Dr. John
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian