Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Haired dachshund 12 yr. He has gotten over the year little…

Customer Question
Long haired dachshund 12...

Long haired dachshund 12 yr. He has gotten over the year little hard less than peas size bump under his skin. I can put them between my fingers, they are not red. When petting him you might think it's a tick. They are Not.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the dachshund's name?

Charlie

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Charlie?

He is a very anxious dog, licks lots, carpets, feet, Blankets.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
11/16/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian replied 8 months ago
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian

Hi. My name is***** Thank you for your question about Charlie. A very common cause for firm, pea size bumps under the skin on dogs his age are sebaceous cysts. These are the accumulation of fluids / secretions from a group of cells that never make it to the surface of the skin. The secretions accumulate under the skin and form a firmer feeling bump that is mobile with the skin. What would be best here is to have your vet check him over and do an aspirate of some of these to see what cells / material comes from them. If they are sebaceous cysts, then they most likely are cosmetic issues. If they by chance are some other growth, then knowing what they are will put forth options as to deal with them.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?