Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog had a mass removed in July. It was cancer but the…

Customer Question
Hi. My dog...

Hi. My dog had a mass removed in July. It was cancer but the margins were pretty clean. He was fine the rest of the summer with no signs of ill health. However, he suffered his first and only seizure on October 17th. We started him on anti seizure meds and he lost his gait and was foggy for a bit but seemed to come around when we upped the dosage a little. We suspected canine brain cancer but since he is 10, we did not want to put him through and MRI or CT Scan. We started him on prednisone 5 days ago. Yesterday morning, he was slow moving but managed to go up and down stairs, eat regularly, go outside and to the bathroom as normal. The tides turned when I came home from work and found him somewhat dazed and standing in my family room. Instead of greeting me, he just half wagged his tail and stood there. He managed to lie down and eat and then shakily went outside to urinate around 5:30. That's the last time he went outside. He just lies on his side sometimes panting, sometimes not. We tried carrying him outside to go potty but he just kept lying in the grass. He never slept last night but drank a little bit of water. We are wondering if it is his kidneys shutting down or just the natural progression of cancer. What will happen if he can't go outside? We're waiting for the vet's office to open as well as the hospice pet care center. Thank you for your information.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your dog?

Other than the cancer and seizures? No. He doesn't exhibit pain.

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
11/16/2017
Dog Veterinarian: PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse replied 5 months ago
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

I am very sorry to see that no one has reached out to you before now. I just came online and found that your question had not been addressed. How is your companion at this time?

He is gone

I'm so sorry to hear. Thank you for letting me know.

Dr. John
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian