Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My 1 yr old female cross breed mini pinscher chihuahua is…

Customer Question
Hi.. My 1 yr...

Hi.. My 1 yr old female cross breed mini pinscher chihuahua is sick.. Her jaw is locked, she cannot open her mouth. It started with her shaking all over, her ears stood erect, she doesn't want to be touched, she easily gets startled and her limbs seems immobile and salivating heavily. The whole day, she looks like a stroke victim and last night, she became better. Saliva stopped, she can move slowly, she just sits erect looking at us. Still, her mouth was closed. She tried to open but to no avail. She cannot eat nor drink because of her closed mouth. Somehow, she can move. Please help..

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. The Expert will know what to do with the drooling. What is the dog's name?

She is Venus.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?

My nephew called a while ago and he told me that he bathe Venus.. She seems okay because she can now slowly move around, however, because of her closed mouth, she cannot eat nor drink. He tried to open Venus mouth but can not. Also, Venus is trying to open her mouth but she seems to be in pain. We have not brought her yet to a Vet since our location is far. We are just checking and monitoring Venus.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
11/16/2017
Dog Veterinarian: DocPaul, Veterinarian replied 8 months ago
DocPaul
DocPaul, Veterinarian

Hi.

Dr. Paul Brazzell here.

I will do my best to help you.

Is there any history of trauma? Any open wounds, puncture wounds?

Has she done this before?

None to all.
i hope it's ok to a written answer.

Okay thanks.

Yes I dont need to talk by phone- just ignore this dumb automated service.

Can you confirm how long she has been like this AND did it come on suddenly?

Paul