Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I have a Westie birthing and she has a puppy stuck in the…

I have a Westie...

I have a Westie birthing and she has a puppy stuck in the canal. I can almost grab a foot but she’s to small to get two fingers in. What’s the best way to help get it out?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the Westie's name?

Mia

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Mia?

Nothing in particular. She already gave to birth three about 5 hrs ago

Answered in 1 minute by:
11/16/2017
DocPaul
DocPaul, Veterinarian

Hi.

Dr. Paul Brazzell here.

Are you able to get one finger on either side of the puppies head?

Paul

I can’t feel the head. All I can touch is a foot. I might be able to force two fingers in with a little stretching

Okay.

We dont have much time to make this work

Give that a try

How long has she been whelping? Is this a singleton puppy?

Paul

She had three about five hours ago
I’ll try to get two fingers in and see what I can do

Do you have some KY jelly or other lubricant and a little tube that you can use to get it into the vaginal canal?

Push the vulvar lips back and pull down first when you have the puppy

Then pull towards forward- Like a C motion

Paul

Ok

How are we doing?

No luck yet. My wife is helping me. She can get her fingers in better

Okay.

If we cant get that puppy out in the next ffew minutes you need to go to the ER

Paul

I’m looking for a local 24 hr clinic around here

Okay good

I’m meeting a veterinarian in a few min. Thank you for your help

Good!

Please update me after the C-section

Paul

DocPaul
DocPaul, Veterinarian
DocPaul
DocPaul
DocPaul, Veterinarian