Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dogs got sprayed with skunk, what can I use to protect…

Customer Question
My dogs got sprayed...

My dogs got sprayed with skunk, what can I use to protect their eyes and bathe them

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. What is the dog's name and age?

Wolfie and Tuffy age 7 both of them neutered males

Veterinarian's Assistant: How old is Wolfie?

Seven yrs old

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Wolfie?

He does not seem to be stressed too much by the spray,he is a bichon/poodle mix about 20 pounds

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
11/16/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian replied 9 months ago
Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian

Hi,I'm Dr Scott. Welcome to JustAnswer, I am working on your question now, you can expect a written reply sometime within the next ten minutes or so.

Hello again,

Sorry to hear this has happened to Wolfie and Tuffy, thankfully this very rarely a serious situation, however I have worked out a fuller answer for you below.

1. While the encounter with the skunk is unpleasant for both your dogs and yourself it is usually not a dangerous situation, if the eyes or mouth are affected all you need to do is to very thoroughly irrigate them with luke warm water and repeat it an hour later, do this for five minutes at a time. If in doubt with the eyes if things are not improving then have an ER vet check things over, but this is rarely necessary

2. Of course once you have dealt with the eyes you will have the smell to contend with. There are a number of remedies to get rid of the smell both commercial and home remedies, probably none of them are 100% effective but here are some tips :

A. Wash your dogs as soon as possible after the skunk spray so that nothing dries into their coats.

2. Shower your dogs in some way and rinse them really well, do not bath them as the smell will be in the bath water but the shower will eliminate it more quickly.

3. Use Dawn Dish Soap or other soap and let it soak in for 30 minutes but keep her coat moist, rinse your dogs really well and repeat the process twice. { Dawn seems to be best }

3. Finally then use a commercial odour eliminator designed for this purpose if you have one available or you can buy one at a vet or good pet store in your area tomorrow.

4. But in any case I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if either Wolfie and Tuffy's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Thank you for the info, we are rinsing for the lst time after the first application of Dawn. and it looks like we are set for the night. we will continue with the second application. I want to only be charged for the $5. question. I do not want an ongoing account. I will use your service again, if another question comes up. Otherwise in normal daytime hours, I would call my local vet. I appreciate your service and thank you for answering my question

Hello again,

My role here is confined to giving veterinary advice, unfortunately I have no access to the site administration, however if you contact the JustAnswer customer care team I am sure they will explain things to your satisfaction.

Good luck with your dogs ...

Regards,

Dr Scott

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how Wolfie and Tuffy are getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the skunk spray incident ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?