Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

I have a 3&1/2 year old mix german shepherd. She has bred

Hello, i have a 3&1/2...
Hello, i have a 3&1/2 year old mix german shepherd. She has bred once and after that i got her de po provera shots to stop the menstrual cycle and avoid any other chances of pregnancy. I have been noticing for a month now that she is licking her vulva sometimes. And today i saw a yellow colored dry scab on it. I thought that maybe its dirt and removed it but as soon as i did so she yelped in pain and now the area(about the size of a small rice grain has become red)
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the German shepherd's name?
Customer: Kadi
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Kadi?
Customer: No, she eating fine and is as active as she was ever. Everything is fine
11/15/2017
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian

Thank you for using Just Answer. My name is Rebecca; I am a veterinarian. Please give me a moment to type my answer.

I am sorry you are concerned about Kadi.

It would not be unusual for a scab to be red after being removed, but that should resolve in a few days or so.

There are many concerns with using Depo Provera to prevent her having heat cycles and getting pregnant. One big concern is pyometra, which could cause a vaginal discharge. If she had a pyometra, dried discharge may have caused the scab you removed.

You can put some Neosporin on the red area to see if it resolves on its own. If it does not get better, or if you notice any vaginal discharge, I would have her checked over by your veterinarian.

Other things we watch for in dogs getting Depo Provera are diabetes, mammary enlargement or tumors, and hypothyroidism. I would not recommend using it repeatedly. There are other safer ways to prevent estrus (heat cycles) such as deslorein implants, and cabergoline.

Please let me know if this is helpful and what other questions I can answer.

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
Thankyou so much. She does not have any vaginal discharge. And i had given her only 4 shots of depo provera. Her veterinarian suggested the shots because she was anaemic and could not undergo any operation. She has her 6 monthly check up at the vet's and he says everything is normal. Thankyou. I will use neosporin. Thankyou so much

You are welcome.

Good she does not have any discharge. I hope she continues to do well.

Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian

Thank you for the great rating. How is she doing?

Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian