Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

If my puppy/dog is not eating and is just laying around

Customer Question
If my puppy/dog is...

If my puppy/dog is not eating and is just laying around would it be a worm even though we used wormer a few weeks ago (2)

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help your puppy. What is the puppy's name?

Bob from my 3 year old haha

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your puppy?

Not really we have only had him sinc september

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
11/15/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian replied 5 months ago
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian

Thank you for using Just Answer. My name is Rebecca; I am a veterinarian. Please give me a moment to type my answer.

I am sorry to hear Bob id not eating and is inactive. If you lift his lip to check his gums, are they pink or pale in color? There are worms called hookworms that can make a dog anemic and weak.

Has he had his vaccinations? Any time I hear of a puppy that is not eating, I worry about parvo virus.

What wormer did you use?

He has had his shots and wormer is nemax

One dose of Nemex does not clear an infection of hookworms or roundworms, and will not be effective for whipworms.

Has he had more than one vaccination?

If you lift his lip to check his gums, are they pale or pink?

They are pale and we have wormer him twice
Do I need to get local vets wormer?

If his gums are pale, it would be best to have him checked out by a veterinarian. I would also test a stool sample to see if there are worms, and to know what wormer might be best; we use different wormers for different worms.

If you gave Nemex twice, I might next worm with fenbendazole (Panacur) for 5 consecutive days. You would need to see a veterinarian to get this.

Pale gums could indicate other problems, it may not be worms. An exam by a veterinarian might be best.

Ok I sure will. He isn’t having bowel movements due to lack of appetite

This sounds possibly serious. Please let me know how he is doing and what other questions I can answer.

If my answer was helpful, kindly consider rating my answer to let the website know I am assisting you.

Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian