Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Our dog is about 13 or older. she has been starting to

Customer Question
Our dog is about...

Our dog is about 13 or older. she has been starting to scratch at the carpet constantly, her sight is going and she is drinking allot of water, loss of hearing. and I think she has arthritis too. those are all the symptoms it is a Llasa Apso

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Using the wrong medication for fleas can be dangerous. You should definitely talk to the Veterinarian. What is the dog's name?

Haley she does not have med for fleas

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?

Her pupils in her eyes do not have the dark black but a bit dark greay...not white though

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 day by:
11/17/2017
Dog Veterinarian: PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse replied 7 months ago
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

I am very sorry to see that no one has reached out to you before now. I just came online and found that your question had not been addressed. How is your companion at this time?

Its my moms dog she is ok but concerned about her age and wondering if she is having these problems because of her od age is she about to die you think?

If she's scratching the carpet constantly, it sounds like she's still active. Have any diagnostics been run such as bloodwork recently?

No nothing done right now, she does scratch carpets allot when she is ready to sleep. I am guessing because HER SIGHT IS GOING, SHE THINKS THE CAROET IS HE BED AND SHE IS NOT SATISFIED IT IS NOT FLUFFING UP FOR HER SO THATS WHY SHE IS CONSTANTLY SCRATCHING THE CARPET. BUT I AM WONDERING IF THE NEXT THING IS TO TAKE HER TO THE VET
She has been getting more symptons over the past month I visit my mom who is also elderly--87 so I am wondering if I should take the dog in

That sounds quite plausible. Based on what you've shared, I don't think she's near death but I do think it would be wise to have bloodwork run. Conditions which might be contributing to her symptoms may include hypothyroidism, kidney disease, liver disease, diabetes, etc. If there is an underlying condition, such as diabetes, which is treated her quality of life will likely improve and it will improve symptoms such as the high volume of drinking water. Her eye sight may also improve, as well, or not worsen (if this might be glaucoma secondary to diabetes). She sounds like she is aging but still active, eating, drinking, urinating and defecating quite well.

I hope this information has been helpful. I will be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further. Also, before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me (bottom of the page if using the app). A 5-star rating is appreciated as top notch answers are my focus. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply so that I may help until you’ve received the assistance you need. Until you issue a rating, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating at no further charge on this thread.

I will also check in with you over the next few days to be sure you don’t need any additional assistance. If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

Checking in. How is your companion doing today?

going to take her to the vet

Excellent. Let me know what you find out and if I can assist you further with any questions that might arise during the examination.

Checking in. How is your companion feeling today?

Dog Veterinarian: PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse replied 6 months ago

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse