Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog ate a 2x2 gauze pad that was soaked in amicar. will…

Customer Question
My dog ate a...

My dog ate a 2x2 gauze pad that was soaked in amicar. will it harm him? he is a male pomerainin about 6 and 19 lbs

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. The Expert will know if your dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?

Spooky about 6 unknown he was a rescue

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your dog?

No I just need to know if I should take him to his vet

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
11/15/2017
Dog Veterinarian: DocPaul, Veterinarian replied 8 months ago
DocPaul
DocPaul, Veterinarian

Hi.

Dr. Paul Brazzell here.

We actually use Amicar in veterinary medicine to treat degenerative myelopathy.

The dosage we use are pretty high (15.0 mg/kg) so I dont think you are going to have any problems from the drug.

The gauze sponge is a concern as ti may get stuck in the GI tract.

I would give 1 TBSP canned pumpkin with each meal for a few days to help push things through.

When did he eat this?

Paul

About 4 hours ago now.
Can I use sweet potato instead he is not much on pumkin but loves sweet potatoes

I am fine with that.

We just want something to push things along and provide source of soluble fiber :)

Good luck and please update me tomorrow

Watch for vomiting, inappetance

Okay?

Paul