Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Our grand dog has red eyes and a little discharge. What Can…

Customer Question
Our grand dog has...

Our grand dog has red eyes and a little discharge . What Can I do here at home for her?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?

Lou is a 9 yr old beagle mix.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
11/15/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Altman, Veterinarian replied 7 months ago
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you today! Please give me a few moments to respond and I will be back momentarily!

I can give you some basic guidelines for today but if this persists please consider a veterinary exam. Especially if you are able to view the cornea and it is hazy/ blue or the eye seems swollen.

- Saline flush for contact lenses every 8-12 hours to flush the eye. Not solution but flush

- No rubbing! If there is no corneal ulceration this can create one but if there is one it can definitely exacerbate the tear and increase risk to the eye

- Benadryl 1 mg/ pound to help relieve the itch and allow your pet to rest more comfortably but also reduce the redness

- A moist towel in the freezer for 30 minutes then applied can help numb and provide relief on an as needed basis

If flushing has not improved the eye then I would advise a veterinary exam to ensure there is not an underlying cause that is resulting in these symptoms

Please let me know how else I can assist you both today.

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION at the top of your screen (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!