Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My two puppies ate cigarettes. They are 10 lbs each. I dont…

Customer Question
My two puppies ate...

My two puppies ate cigarettes. They are 10 lbs each

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. The Expert will know if the puppy will be able to digest that. What is the puppy's name?

I dont know how many they ate anywhere from 2

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the puppy?

They are raw eaters and and all natural

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
11/15/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Ann M., Dog Veterinarian replied 5 months ago
Dr. Ann M.
Dr. Ann M., Dog Veterinarian

Hi there and thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed, internship-trained veterinarian with 12 years experience in general medicine and emergency and critical care medicine and I would be happy to assist you. Please be patient as there may be slight delays in responses as I research your pet's issue and as I am typing out a response.

If they ate them within the past hour, please give them each 2 teaspoons of hydrogen peroxide orally. Wait 15mins, and if they have not vomited, give a second dose. I will wait here and then you can let me know what happens and I can tell you what to do next.

Do i have to make them vomite

Yes, unless you would prefer that the vet do it for you.

Are you making them vomit? I can wait, I just don't want to wait here if you are not doing that.

They are acting normal and it been one hour Since they ate them

How many did they each eat?

Maybe two each.

Okay. Give me a bit to check with a toxicologist.

With this ingestion, it looks like they are potentially over the lethal dose. I would induce vomiting right now, or if you can't, I would get them to a vet for activated charcoal and IV fluids. Based on my calculations from their weights and 2 cigarettes each, they ingested 6-13mg/kg of nicotine, and the dose that is lethal to 50% of dogs is 9mg/kg. I would get them to a vet right away. Good luck! If you induce vomiting and the cigarettes come up, then you do not need to see a vet.

I hope that I have answered your question thoroughly. If you still have questions or are not yet satisfied with my answer, please reply. If you feel that I have provided anything less than excellent service (5 star rating), please reply to me first before rating my service and let me know how I can better assist you. Thank you for your question; it has been a pleasure being able to provide assistance. Bonuses are appreciated... it's always nice to get tipped for your services. Best of luck.

Just checking to see how your dogs are doing... did you induce vomiting?

Dr. Ann M.
Dr. Ann M.
Dr. Ann M., Dog Veterinarian