Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I’m pretty sure my dog has mange and I can’t afford to take…

Customer Question
Hi, I’m pretty sure...

Hi, I’m pretty sure my dog has mange and I can’t afford to take her to the vet. I’m really upset because she has lost hair from her tail, back, legs, bottom and else where. I want to help her but I don’t know what to do.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?

Her name is ***** ***** she is nearly 3

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Xena?

She’s a blue heeler. Had a litter of puppies October last year. I have another blue heeler who just turned 1 but she has not been affected.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
11/15/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Joey, Board Certified replied 8 months ago
Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified

Hello I am Dr. Joey. Thanks for asking your question and trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 17 years of experience. I'm sorry to hear Xena is experiencing this.

Mange is certainly a potential cause of what you are seeing. There are two types of "mange": Demodex mites and sarcoptes mites. Demodex is not itchy and there is hair loss, sometimes a secondary infection as well. The good news is this is now easy to treat. The other type of mange (sarcoptes) is terribly itchy and causes a lot of scabbing/crusting. Your vet will need to do a skin scraping to look for mites to know if this is present and then if so prescribe the right therapy since they are both treated differently.

Now, this may not be due to mites. It is possible she has a skin infection (bacterial or fungal) which has led to this. Some dogs with flea allergy dermatitis (common this time of the year) can lead to hair loss in the areas you described. So, effective flea control is important. Another possibility is in dogs that have blue coloration we can see a genetic issue called color dilution alopecia. Your vet can do a hair pluck evaluation to look for this.

So, there is not an easy over-the-counter solution for this. This is going to require an examination following by some easy testing to try to narrow down the cause.

I am at a point I need to know what questions you have. I hope that the information I provided has been helpful.

Please let me know if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer.

If you received all the information you needed, then kindly submit a rating.

Is there anything I can do to help her relieve the itching?

Here are a couple of over-the-counter options that might help with itching:

1)Give an antihistamine such as (choose one): Benadryl (diphenhydramine) 25mg at 1 mg per 10 pounds every 12 hours OR Claritin OTC (if less than 25 lbs give ½ tablet every 12 hours)

2)Bath in a good antibacterial shampoo such as Selsun Blue (original, medicated) every 7 days. When you bathe, lather and let stand in contact with skin for 5-10 minutes before rinsing thoroughly

3)Start on a fish oil supplement (this is anti-inflammatory over about 4-6 weeks): at least 1000mg once daily.

Hope that helps.