Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog had diaharea and I gave her one chewable tablet of…

Customer Question
Hey, my dog had...

Hey, my dog had diaharea and I gave her one chewable tablet of pepto bismal. I must have not noticed that I dropped a pack on the floor and later found when I came from work that she had eaten about 16 of the pepto chewables. She dpoes not have diahrea now but now she seems to be lathargic and in pain, walking with an arched back. She is a mutt that weighs about 60-70 lbs. I took her for a walk and she seemed fine but when we get home she will lay in her bed and then seem walk slow.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. The Expert will know if your dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?

Sophie and 6 years old

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Sophie?

She is drinking plenty of water as well nope, she had diahrea but not after she ate them

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
11/15/2017
Dog Veterinarian: DocPaul, Veterinarian replied 7 months ago
DocPaul
DocPaul, Veterinarian

Hi.

Dr. Paul Brazzell here.

Can you give me the strength of the chewables

And am I to conclude that this happened quite a while ago?
Paul

Thanks. I contacted the aspca poison control and they said there is no life threats but the overdose can cause stomach pain, hind leg weakness, and an almost drug like effect on dogs. They said symptoms resolve on their own usually within 24 hours.To answer your question they are medium strength original flavor and happened within the last 12 hours.

Thank for getting back to me

Great job, Paul