Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My 13 year old yorkie coughs ALL the time. I think he might…

Customer Question
My 13 year old...

My 13 year old yorkie coughs ALL the time. I think he might have heart failure. He probably has arthritis. He has lost most of his teeth. He is often incontinent of urine and stool. Are these things that can get significantly better or has his quality of life just gone?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Coughing can be worrying. The Expert will know what you should do. What is the Yorkie's name?

Rex

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Rex?

He has some form of environmental allergies and licks/chews himself all the time also. His skin is flaky and thickened all over, but especially on his groin. He has cataracts and recurrent ear infections.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
11/15/2017
Dog Veterinarian: DocPaul, Veterinarian replied 7 months ago
DocPaul
DocPaul, Veterinarian

Hi.

Dr. Paul Brazzell here.

It is possible that he has some heart enlargement that is causing the coughing.

But he is a small breed dog so we must also consider chronic bronchitis and collapsing trachea.

His age also makes bacterial pneumonia a consideration.

I would recommend a physical examination and chest radiographs.

That will give you a very good idea what is or is not wrong.

Make sense?

Paul

How would the chest x-rays affect what sort of treatment we would do and what sort of improvement in his quality of life can we expect to see? The cost of the exams and treatment will be a pretty big factor for us.

Well the x-rays would help them to determine what is wrong and therefore select the right medication

The majority of your expenses will be in the testing and not the treatment

Almost all of the problems we are looking for are treated medically.

Paul

Hi Lauren,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

DocPaul