Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Our dog weighs 56 pounds and ate a ham about 2 inches in…

Customer Question
Our dog weighs 56...

Our dog weighs 56 pounds and ate a ham cock about 2 inches in diameter and 2 inches long. How could she swallow that? What can we do?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. The Expert will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?

Lucy is her name and is 10 years old

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Lucy?

Not that I can think of

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/15/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Peter, Veterinarian replied 8 months ago
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply ASAP.

1- How long has it been has it been since she swallowed it?

2- Any symptoms?

1 hour. no symptoms. She is lying down resting and looks peaceful

As you may already know the concern is that the bone can cause an obstruction or perforation of the intestinal tract. But, more often than not dogs are able to digest the bone or pass it in the stool without any problem. Inducing vomiting is not indicated as the bone can damage the esophagus on the way out. This is what you can do:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol.

2- Do not induce vomiting.

3- Change her diet for the next 3-5 days to rice (75%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (25%). The idea is for the rice to help move the bone out in the feces if undigested while protecting the intestinal tract.

4- If during the next 3-5 days you see the following symptoms: lethargy, anorexia, vomiting, constipated or diarrhea, etc. follow up immediately with a veterinarian. These are all signs of potential obstruction or perforation of the intestinal tract. In the meantime, observe and change diet as above then wean back into the regular diet.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service. If you have any follow-up questions don't hesitate to ask. If finished, please take a moment to rate my service. See you again soon!

Dr. Peter

I text back that I did not want anyone to text me and I did not want a call and be charged $19. I got charged by you $19 which I never got a call me call that I said no to. why am I charged for something I said no to and did not get that service as well. Refund my money. This is not right especially when we try to help our dog per your service and get charged for something we said no to. I agreed to pay $5 for text help. This is horrible business

I am sorry for any issues you have had with charges. You will need to direct this to customer service I am sure they will be able to help you with any inconvenience. I will transfer this to customer service.

Dr. Peter