Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

He has a mole on his lower belly that is bleeding. I

Customer Question
He has a mole...

He has a mole on his lower belly that is bleeding. I notieced because he was licking a lot. Should i be concerned?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. The Expert will know what to do about this bleeding. I'll connect you ASAP. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?

Dog is a 10 year old pit bull mix with bad knees. Poor old guy.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
11/15/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Altman, Veterinarian replied 8 months ago
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you today! Please give me a few moments to respond and I will be back momentarily!

I am sorry your dog has this lump. Are you able to take a photo and attach it with the paperclip on your screen?

I can give you recommendations to minimize infection and reduce healing time but if there is continued discharge or it is not healing then please have your vet evaluate the lesion to ensure additional medication is not warranted.

1.) No licking! Please put a t-shirt on or a cone to prevent him from reaching the area. Licking introduces oral bacteria to the area and can increase risk of inflammation and infection

2.) Trim the hair around the opening to minimize trapping in of the moisture with the hair matting. Please use caution with scissors

3.) Use ivory soap and water or dog oatmeal shampoo to the area twice daily with ten minute contact time before rinsing and tap dry

4.) I prefer to not apply salves or ointments because it traps in moisture to the area and reduces healing or delays healing time. If needed you can put a very thin layer of a triple antibiotic on the area after cleaning

5.) Remove any scabbing that occurs with healing. Again it also traps in moisture and then can actually abscess

6.) Limit activity. The more activity the more likely this wound will take longer to heal because the skin cannot heal in an active setting, particularly on the belly.

7.) If there is licking or rubbing please begin benadryl 1 mg/ pound every 8 hours for reducing the itch but may cause mild sedation.

I would advise taking a photo of the area with a ruler or coin so you can monitor size but also shape and redness/ healing. Please let me know if this information makes sense and any additional questions i can assist with or clarify today.

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION at the top of your screen (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

I am glad to see you were able to view my responses. I am online another 20 minutes tonight if I can be of any further assistance

Good morning, I wanted to check in on your dog to see if the mole is less irritated today with my suggestions? I would love an update when you are able

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both

If the information I have provided was helpful I would be grateful if you would rate our chat with the stars at the top of the screen so I am compensated for my time. Thank you and best of luck to you both, truly!

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Altman