Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

I believe my french bulldog has what is known as cherry eye.

Customer Question
I believe my french bulldog...
I believe my french bulldog has what is known as cherry eye
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Sia and a year and half
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Sia?
Customer: No, she is pretty healthy pup. Just looked up what her condition might be and it aligns with cherry eye
Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/15/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Altman, Veterinarian replied 2 months ago
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you today! Please give me a few moments to respond and I will be back momentarily!

So sorry for the diagnosis but it is something readily treated with surgery. Your veterinarian can tack down the gland under the third eyelid and often this is curative. We don't typically remove the gland but if tacked down it will remain moist and continue to product tears...

How else can I assist you in questions in regards ***** ***** condition?

I saw a video that says I can rub the tissue gently and it should help soothe it so that surgery isn't needed? Is there anything I could do as a home remedy?

There really is not home remedy. If exposed the gland dries out and I have never had one resolve without medical or surgical intervention. Rubbing the tissue is simply going to irritate it and don't know how that would aid in resolution of the gland sinking back into place

I do have occasional cases that resolve with topical steroids but 80+% require surgery to tack it down

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION at the top of your screen (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian