Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog got into my adderal pill bottle. Found pills on floor…

Customer Question
My dog got into...

My dog got into my adderal pill bottle. Found pills on floor not sure if he ate any or had some. I gave hydrogen peroxide and did throw up a little

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. The Expert will know if your dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?

Bennie. Six months

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Bennie?

He only will sit. Will not walk or lay down. I think could be bc of hydrogen peroxide but not sure

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
11/15/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Kara, Veterinarian replied 5 months ago
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Kara. I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

Thank you

I am sorry to hear that your pup ate Adderall. This drug is in the same family of drugs as methamphetamine and can cause a dangerously fast heart rate and hypertension.

How long after ingesting the pills did you get him to vomit?

How is he behaving now?

How much does he weigh?

How much peroxide was he given?

Did he vomit until he seemed to clear his stomach?
You absolutely need to induce vomiting to clear his stomach if he has eaten these within the last hour, and if you aren't successful you must get Bennie seen by a veterinarian on an emergency basis to get him to vomit or perform gastric lavage to get the drug out.

An appropriate dose of peroxide is 1 tablespoon of 3% hydrogen peroxide per 10-15 pounds of body weight soaked up with bread (no more than 3 tablespoons even if she weighs more than 35-45 pounds).
Then take him outside and run him around to get the peroxide bubbling so he vomits and clears his stomach.
If no vomiting in 10 minutes repeat the peroxide dose once.
If he vomits and seems to clear his stomach and be done I would check to see if the pill pieces are present.

If he clears his stomach then to try and settle his stomach and decrease the burn feeling from peroxide you should give either:
1) Pepcid-ac (famotidine) at a dose of one 10mg tablet per 20 to 40 pounds of body weight every 12 hours.
OR
2) Prilosec (omeprazole) at a dose of one half of a 20mg tablet per 20 to 40 pounds of body weight every 24 hours.
These will reduce stomach acid and should help settle his stomach. They can be given for the next 2-3 days to ease stomach upset, or longer if need be.

Then feed a homemade diet of 1/3 boiled hamburger or white, skinless chicken, all fats and juices drained and 2/3 white rice for the next couple of days.

If his heart starts to race, he gets overly active and cannot settle or has tremors or seizures then get him to a veterinarian immediately.
Please let me know if you have any further questions.

He vomited about 45 minutes after taking. Im honestly not sure if he took any. His throw up was just recent food mixed with hydrogen. Has been about 1.5 hours since he may have ingested it
He will only sit will not walk or lay down
Is it to late to give more hydrogen?
4 teaspon total
Hes about 20 lbs
He is very calm not moving just sitting staring at me

At this point it's probably close to too long from the time he ingested them to induce vomiting and make any difference.

The good news is that he vomited pretty soon after he vomited the pills. My hope is if he did eat the pills they were mixed with the food and you just didn't see them.

4 teaspoons = 1 &1/3 tablespoons, so he wasn't overdosed on peroxide. He could have taken 2 Tablespoons. But some dogs are very sensitive to the burn from it. I suspect his abdomen is uncomfortable, thus his reluctance to lay down.

I would recommend giving him one of the acid reducers I mentioned for the next 2-3 days. And feed him the bland diet.

Watch him closely for any signs of hyper activity and a fast heart rate (more than 160 to 180 beats per minute). You can measure his heart rate by putting your hand flat on the side of his chest, just behind his elbow, and pressing until you can feel his heart beat. Count the beats in 15 seconds and multiply by 4.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Kara

Hello, I wanted to make sure that you didn't have any further questions for me, and I'd like to know how things turned out for your pup. If you could give me an update that would be great, thank you, ***** *****

Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian