Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

The last few days my dog has been hacking up a clear mucus,

Customer Question
The last few days...

The last few days my dog has been hacking up a clear mucus, like he's throwing up, but not chunky vomit or regurgitation. Mostly at night or when he's starting to get anxious. It sounds like he's trying to clear his throat, but then (for lack of better description) hacks up the white mucus.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did your dog eat anything unusual?

Easy to clean up, but nothing too unusual for a 2 year old.

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name?

Does that matter? He's gotten into the bathroom trash a few times, usually just pulls everything out. He's doing fine today and none of the coughing/vommiting and was perfect on our walks.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your dog?

Normal energy levels and happy as can be.

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
11/14/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian replied 5 months ago
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I AM NOT SET UP TO MAKE PHONE CALLS, BUT I WOULD BE HAPPY TO ANSWER ANY QUESTIONS YOU HAVE ONLINE. THE WEBSITE SENDS THE REQUESTS; NOT MYSELF. It sounds like he may be more coughing up expectorant than vomiting. The most common cause of that is an upper respiratory infection. It is possible you can see that with a bad case of allergic bronchitis as well. I would have your vet do a full physical exam on him and even consider chest x-rays. At the very least, I would have him on a course of antibiotics and cough medication to see if it resolves. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. IF YOU ARE SATISFIED WITH MY ANSWER, PLEASE RATE IT. Rating it is the only way I get compensated for helping you, and we can still continue our conversation after rating. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Asking more specific questions usually helps a lot. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.

Would he exhibit any other symptoms if this were a respiratory infection?

Not really. With an upper respiratory infection, you may just see coughing. Let me know if you have other concerns.

Hello. I was just following up to see how your dog is doing and to see if you have any other questions.

Dr. John
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian