Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Shes weak, and skinney. She isn't eating, has a cough, and…

Customer Question
Shes weak, and skinney ...

Shes weak, and skinney

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with the dog?

She isn't eating, has a cough, and wobbles when she walks

Veterinarian's Assistant: Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?

No wound. she also has raspy breathing

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name and age?

Corina age 11 yo, Chihuahua 4lbs

Veterinarian's Assistant: How old is Corina?

11

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Corina?

She's in tact and is loosing her hair. But I was told that was harmones

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
11/14/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian replied 9 months ago
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I AM NOT SET UP TO MAKE PHONE CALLS, BUT I WOULD BE HAPPY TO ANSWER ANY QUESTIONS YOU HAVE ONLINE. THE WEBSITE SENDS THE REQUESTS; NOT MYSELF. In order to give an informative and concise answer, it may take a few minutes before I respond back to you, so don't be alarmed if you don't hear back immediately. If you have not responded back in 10 minutes, it may be a longer before I can get back to you. I do have a couple more questions, though, to see if I can better assess your situation.

How long has this been going on for?

Any enlargement or distension of her abdomen?

When was the last time he had a full exam and/or blood work by a vet?

Is she on heart worm prevention monthly?

she is not on heart worm prevention and has no enlargement. this has been hoi g on for three or four days. before that she had cycled w/o blood. Her last full exam was about a year ago

Thanks. How long ago was her last heat cycle?

2 weeks ago

Thanks for the information. There is a couple issues that I am concerned about here. Anytime a dog who just had a heat cycle in the past 2 months gets sick, an infected uterus, called a pyometra, should be the first concern. They don't usually have that coughing problem, though, at least not directly. Check around her vulva to see if there is a discharge. There won't be a discharge with a pyometra if the cervix is closed, but that also means that they get very sick very quickly because the uterus cannot drain. I would be more concerned about a heart problem (including heart worm disease) or pneumonia with the coughing and raspy breathing. Either way, all of those issues can be life threatening. My best advice is at this point is to get her in to see your vet ASAP. 3-4 days is definitely already too long to continue to monitor the problems to see if they will get better. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. IF YOU ARE SATISFIED WITH MY ANSWER, PLEASE RATE IT. Rating it is the only way I get compensated for helping you, and we can still continue our conversation after rating. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Asking more specific questions usually helps a lot. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.

Hello. I was just following up to see how Corina is doing and to see if you have any other questions.