Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog about 8 mo old- 25 pound female--. vaginal

Customer Question
Hi.. Dog about 8...

Hi.. Dog about 8 mo old- 25 pound female--.green vaginal discharge...at the vet she was given Baytril-DEX B12 injection and 8 days of Primor 600 Mg

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with the dog?

Should be the green discharge still be there?

Veterinarian's Assistant: Where does the dog seem to hurt?

I dont think she is under any pain.... still green discharge

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. No obvious pain. What is the dog's name?

Arkira

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Arkira?

I think this about it. No pain, no fever. just green discharge

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
11/14/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Kara, Veterinarian replied 5 months ago
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Kara. I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

I understand that you are concerned as you are noticing a greenish vaginal discharge, despite treatment with a Baytril injection and Primor 600mg oral antibiotics. I am glad to hear that she doesn't have a fever and is still eating and is playing and active.

This sounds like puppy vaginitis. Puppy vaginitis is a mucoid, cloudy, white or yellowish/green vaginal discharge. We usually see it in puppies that are 6 weeks to about 8 months of age. It can come and go with or without treatment and can last for weeks to months.

Most puppies don’t show any signs of being bothered by it, but others may lick their vulva a lot and develop skin irritation around the vulva along with crusty debris in the hair around the vulva. The amount of discharge varies from puppy to puppy. Some puppies have a lot of discharge and some don’t.
If we examine the discharge under a microscope we will see suppurative inflammation (white cells) but few bacteria.

Other possible causes of these symptoms include a urinary tract infection so your veterinarian may want to collect a sterile urine sample from the bladder to look for signs of an infection.
While other causes (a urinary tract infection or an anatomical abnormality) of vaginal discharge in puppies call for medical treatment, basic puppy vaginitis is more an annoyance than a medical concern and thus we may not treat it beyond keeping the area clean. The most important thing is to differentiate between puppy vaginitis and a more serious problem.

Treatment of puppy vaginitis is mainly patience and keeping the area clean. You can remove the discharge with a wet baby wipe to keep the vulvar area clean. Puppy vaginitis usually goes away on its own, once the dog reaches puberty.
I do usually recommend letting puppies with recurrent episodes go through a heat. This often matures the vulva's anatomy and stops any further episodes of vaginitis.
Please let me know if you have any further questions.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Kara

Hello, I wanted to make sure that you didn't have any further questions for me, and I'd like to know how things turned out for your pup. If you could give me an update that would be great, thank you, ***** *****

Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian