Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Ive changed her food, changed plastic food/water bowl to…

Customer Question
Ive changed her food...

Ive changed her food, changed plastic food/water bowl to stainless steel. She is a blue pit bull which is notorious for allergies. I've been reading about OTC allergy meds that dogs can take and I'd like to know if any of the 24 hour pills is safe for her to take. I will not be breeding her.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the pit's name and age?

Kora and she is about 4 months old

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Kora?

Other than that she is fine.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
11/14/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Kelly Hill, Dog Veterinarian replied 8 months ago
Kelly Hill
Kelly Hill, Dog Veterinarian

Hello. This is Dr. Hill. Kora is a little young to be suffering from environment or food allergies. Please tell me why you think that she has allergies and I can help you with problem solving to help her.

Ive taken her to the vet several times...she gets itchy bumps all over and especially under her chin. Vet told me to change her food to no corn, wheat or soy and its salmon and pea. They said no chicken or beef as well. I've been reading up on it and blue pits seem to be notorious for allergies.

At her age it could be a bacterial skin infection, mites or a contact sensitivity. She needs to have a skin scrape to check for mites and an impression smear to look for yeast and bacteria. A medicated shampoo would be very beneficial to aid with the hives. For hives of unknown origin, it is best to use hydroxyzine which is prescription. I would get a more thorough workup of her skin to start. Putting her on a novel protein/grain free diet is also a great idea. You want to avoid chicken, beef, lamb, grain and any dairy. It can take up to 8 weeks to see improvement with a diet change. So adding a medicated shampoo and an antihistamine will help relieve some of the clinical signs. Please ask any follow up questions.