Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog had a laparotomy on 20th October after eating corn on…

Customer Question
My dog had a laparotomy...
My dog had a laparotomy on 20th October after eating corn on the cob he also had a biopsy of his stomach, this was nearly 4 weeks ago. the scar has healed very nicely. He was also diagnosed with IBS during the surgery so his diet has changed to just salmon and potato kibble as advised by the vets.
He also had a poo sample sent away only a week ago which came positive for Gardia which the vet thinks is a seprate situation from the corn..he had been on antibiotics for that since this Friday so we are on our 5th day and we have nearly finished the bottle of metronidazole.
He’s due to have his poo sent off for testing again tomorrow to see if the parasite is now gone after the treatment.Recovery has been steady but we are back to our normal playful self. We have been eating fine and pooing twice a day at a normal solid consistency.I split his meals twice a day he used to have one pre surgery.We’ve had no vomit for 2 weeks but this morning he was sick a tiny bit of yellow bile, no food present in the vomit . He went for a normal poo this morning.He wasn’t fed anything this morning as our feeding is slightly out of sync due to the antibiotic times which is currently at 2 in the afternoon and 2 in the morning which he just has the liquid antibiotics on a bit of chicken.
But he’s been been having his meals slightly later the past few days one in the afternoon and then 9pm at night which means his pooping times are slightly different in sync with the eating.
The past few weeks he’s been fed at 9am and then in the afternoon around 4.30pm so I’m not sure if the slight change in timing has upset his stomach slightly. We’ve only had the one case of bile vomit which was around half an hour ago just before his antibiotics were due.Should I be concerned about the one epsoide if yellow bile? Or is this due to an empty stomach for 12 hours?
Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
11/14/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian replied 5 months ago
Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Deb and will do my best to help with this concern about Gingy.

If he were my patient, I'd assume that the bile he brought up was secondary to an empty stomach for this length of time; I wouldn't be too concerned about just one episode especially if he's otherwise acting fine.

I would, however, suggest that you give him otc (at least here in the States) Famotidine which may help to prevent recurrent episodes while his schedule is a little different than what he's used to. The dose would be 1/4th mg per pound of body weight twice a day.

Other options would be:

Omeprazole at a dose of 1/2 mg per pound once a day OR

Ranitidine at a dose of 1 mg per pound twice a day.

I hope this helps, Deb

Forgot to mention he had bloods tested as well which came back negative pancreatitis which is good.We have some ranitidine left as he was prescribed this for a week after his surgery to settle things as it was starting the healing the process.Is he allowed ranitidine whilst on the
metronidazoleYeah he’s had no vomiting epsoides for over 3 weeks post op. He had a little bit of yellow bile when we were resticting his meals to tiny amounts at the start of his recovery period 4 weeks ago but that was one occasion and we increased his feeding back to normal and a meal In the morning and no issues reoccurred.This yellow bile seems to link in from not having food in the morning which has been our routine post op for the past 2 and a half weeks

He sounds like one of those patients who is sensitive to an empty stomach if he had this issue in the past.

Is he allowed ranitidine whilst on the metronidazole? Yes, it would be fine to give both of these drugs together.

And, it's a good thing that you have some left over to use now.

Another option would be to feed him a smaller meal before bedtime in addition to the Ranitidine if you wanted. Deb

His last meal last night was 9pm then some chicken at 2am for his metronidazole then he would usually eat a morning meal the way we have been going post surgery but as his times are all messed up I didn’t feed him anything this morning then the yellow bile happen at 1.30 this afternoon which would make sense for an empty stomach as that’s nearly 12 hrs without eating.I never noticed any bile in the past he used to just have one meal a day but then lots of treats and biscuits in the day time etc so no huge gaps between eating. So that would make sense.I can give him the ranitidine now we have a pretty much a whole bottle left.With the metronidazole how long is the usual course?
they have suggested he takes it for 5 days then has his poo re tested so that’s due to be done tomorrow then just to finish off the course until it’s gone which will take us up to a week I think.

I agree that he shouldn't go 12 hours without food in his stomach so modifying his feeding schedule should help as well as giving him the Ranitidine.

Every vet practices differently, but when Metronidazole is used for parasites such as Giardia, the typical course is 5-6 days...although it certainly can be given for a much longer period of time, if necessary. Some of my IBD patients take a low dose every day to control their symptoms.

Unfortunately, I have to step away from my computer to take a neighbor to her doctor's appointment. I'll log back on when I return home and address any additional questions you might have. My apologies for the inconvenience. Deb

Yeah that is a while really.Just gave him some ranitidine so hopefully that will settle things until we get back to a normal schedule.He’s only had his first full meal of the day half an hour ago which is long time waiting in between.Ah yeah, we are on our 5th day of treatment with the metronidazole so I think he then has a couple of dosages left after that but then we are done. I’ll take in his sample tomorrow to be retested but hopefully means we are rid of it.With cleaning the house from Giardia I’ve just disinfected everything and washed on a high heat in the washing machine I’m not sure how crazy to go with the cleaning. He’s been bathed once since he stated treatment as well

I think your plan going forward makes sense to me and, hopefully, will be effective.

I don't think you need to go crazy cleaning everything just because he's been diagnosed with Giardia. If you haven't already been told, I'd use unscented baby wipes (or something similar which can be thrown away) to clean his anal area after he has a bowel movement. If he fecal comes back negative, then I'd be less concerned.

Deb

Yeah,
I mean I’ve washed his bedding and bowls etc.I’ll try and move his meal times back to normal best I can but it will be easyier once his medication is finished.They said if it still comes back positive he will just have to have longer antibiotics most likely but hopefully after this 5 days of treatment it will be negative this time around.

I agree that it will be easier to return to his normal feeding schedule once his drugs are finished but in the meantime, I know you'll not let his stomach remain empty for a long period of time.

Deb

Had no vomiting epsoids since that one, all good kept down. He’s been fed this morning and pood, his stool looked solid, little bits of yellow in it but I imagine that’s the Giardia, I’ve rang the vet asking when they want the next stool sample sent off, he’s on day 6 of treatment as of today

Good job; you must be relieved:)

and, thanks for the update since I was curious to know how he was doing. Deb

No problem.
I actually missed one of his dosages of metronarozole today by acident! Shall I just wait till his next dosage tomorrow then carry on as normal?
Well he’s due a dosage at 2am his next one his missed one would have been 4 hrs ago. So shall I just wait out the 7 hours?

If it doesn't mess up his/your schedule too much, I'd just go ahead and give him the missed dose of Metronidazole now and then again in 12 hours (reset the timing, in other words).

If this isn't suitable (or practical), then I'd wait to give him his next dose when it's due.

It's not going to be a huge problem, however, since he's already on day 6. Deb

Ok I’ll just wait to his next dose which is only 5 hours away now

Sounds good to me:)

No vomit again, all looking good :)Only thing I’ve noticed is the last few days he’s had an erect penis a lot and been humping a lot more since we moved house 2 weeks ago.
I’ve had to put cold water on it which makes it go back in completely..
Not sure if it’s all related to laparotomy scar which went rather close to that area but that seems to of healed nicely or if it’s just from the excesssive humping.
It goes back in after around 2 minutes of applying cool water to the area

No vomit again, all looking good:) That's great to hear:)

I don't know what to say about his humping although it may simply reflect the fact that he's feeling better. Or, I suppose there might be a female in the area who;s in heat and he's reacting to the hormones he's detecting.

Deb

Antibiotics all finished now and the other sample is sent off! Hopefully this will be the end of it now! :)

Fingers (and toes!) crossed:) Deb

Hello again,

I assume things are going well with Gingy but just wanted to double check:) Deb

Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian