Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My 75 lb ridgeback ingested socks the other day. We did not…

Customer Question
My 75 lb ridgeback ingested...
My 75 lb ridgeback ingested socks the other day. We did not see this, but she vomited Friday night and the socks were in the vomit. She was fine Saturday and Sunday. Yesterday she wouldnt hardly eat and has been vomiting. After struggling to poop all day, she passed another sock late yesterday. She has been drinking water, but vomiting some of it back up (like a burp). She will not eat. Can the sock being stuck yesterday cause this reaction today? Is there anything I can give her? Does she need to be seen at the vet?
Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
11/14/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian replied 8 months ago
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian

Hi. My name is***** I'm sorry to hear about this situation with your girl. I would absolutely say she needs to see your vet now. The huge thing you don't know is that there may be more socks in her. She has vomited some up and had one pass. Could there be another that is stuck and isn't moving. The fact that she's vomiting strongly supports that. Your vet can check her over and take an x-ray to see what that shows. A barium series may be done to see if things are passing normally. Honestly, a surgery may be in the very near future based on this history. There really isn't anything you can give to help with this unfortunately. The longer something is stuck, potentially the worse things can be. Time is important here so I would get her seen ASAP.

That was my concern however she is acting completely normal, just doesn't want to eat and vomiting. She was not acting normal yesterday before she passed the sock. She was very hyper and constantly wanting to go back outside. Could the sock being in her intestines for a couple days cause her to not be able to digest food?

It is good that she's not acting dumpy, painful, or really lethargic. That doesn't mean that a sock still isn't in there. Socks are the number one foreign body that I have taken out of dogs in my career.

Ok, I will contact my local vet. They did not have appointments available this morning, so I was hoping to get an answer on what we could do in the interim.

Shoot. Did you explain what was going on? I would have dropped appointments to get her in. A foreign body is something I don't like to sit on. Could you get lucky and if there is a sock in there, it finally passes like the last one? That is the unknown. Small waterings every couple hours is pretty much the best you can do at home.