Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My 13 year old Westie accidentally ate some (cooked) chorizo…

Customer Question
Hi my 13 year...

Hi my 13 year old Westie accidentally ate some (cooked) chorizo that fell on the floor at lunch. That was about 11:30 and he has not eaten anything since, is refusing to eat now (he usually has a large appetite!) and his stomach is making loud gurgling noises although no diorehia or vomiting I’ve notice yet. Will he be ok?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. The Expert will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name?

Jasper

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Jasper?

I don’t think so - he usually eats dry food and is always hungry!

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
11/14/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 7 months ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

Based on Jasper's situation, I suspect the fat content in the chorizo has triggered a gastritis or pancreatitis. Therefore, if he is feeling nauseous enough to refuse food, we'd want to take a few steps at this stage. To start, you can consider treating him an OTC pet safe antacid [ie Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid), Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac),Tagamet (More Info/Dose Here @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/cimetidine-hcl-tagamet)]. Whichever you choose, we’d give this 20 minutes before offering food to allow absorption. Of course, do double check with your vet if he has a known health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned.

Afterwards, you can consider starting an easily digestible diet like cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, cottage cheese, scrambled eggs, or meat baby food (as long as its garlic/onion free). The aim of these diets is that they will be better tolerated/absorbed by the compromised gut and can help with mild pancreatitis as well. Therefore, it should get more nutrients in and result in less GI upset. As long as improvement is being seen, I usually advise continuing this until signs are settled, and then weaning slowly back to your normal diet.

Overall, his signs do raise some concerns here. Therefore, we’d want to start supportive care to settle his stomach and see if we can get him eating for us. If he cannot keep that or water down at any point, appears dehydrated already, or doesn’t respond to the above within 12-24 hours; then we'd want to get his vet involved. They can assess him and treat with injectable anti-nausea medication +/- appetite stimulants if needed to get him back feeling like himself.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

******************************************************************************

I aim to provide best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**

Thanks for that. I don’t have any pet safe antacid in the house at the moment and as I’m in Australia is 12:30am so nothing is open! Will it be safe to monitor him until the morning? He hasn’t been sick or had runny stools yet. Is there anything else I can do to make him more comfortable?

Hello again,

Yes, its fine to just keep an eye at this point and stick to a light diet for a few days.

Bet wishes,

Dr. B.

Great - thank you - are there any signs or symptoms I should watch out for to indicate it’s getting worse (or better)?

You are very welcome, my dear.

Mainly we just want to make sure Jasper's gums stay pink, his belly remains comfortable (pancreatitis can cause pain just past where the ribs end), and that we don't see profuse (especially bloody or coffee ground like vomit) vomiting or diarrhea. But usually we see short term gastritis sign for these cases that we can settle with the above.

Have a lovely day,

Dr. B.

**************************************

Please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. B.