Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

She ate a piece of an ornament:( Bella, & she's 2 1/2 months…

Customer Question
She ate a piece...

She ate a piece of an ornament:(

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. The Expert will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?

Bella, & she's 2 1/2 months

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
11/14/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 8 months ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

How long ago?

How big a piece and what was it made of?

Any retching, gagging, lip licking, drooling, or vomiting?

Can she keep water down?

Are her gums pink or white/pale? Moist or sticky?

If you press on her belly, any tensing, tenderness, discomfort, or pain?

It was about 10 hours ago, it was a glass ornament. She's been coughing a little within the past hour, & she can keep water down. I pressed on her belly & it doesn't seem to bother her, & her gums are pink & moist.

Hello again,

Now if it has been 10 hours already, we need to tread with care. The glass shard may have irritated the throat but at this point it could be in the stomach (if its large) or in the intestines. Both sites are quite delicate and we'd be concerned about the risk of GI laceration from this. Therefore, we need to take a supportive care and close monitoring approach to this situation. To start, we will want to feed small meals of a soft and light diet. Examples of an easily digestible diet include cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled egg, or meat baby food (as long as its free from garlic or onion powder). Whichever you choose to offer, you can add some fiber (ie a spoonful of tinned pumpkin or all bran) to the food to bulk up her stool and push this through the intestines. As well, you can also add a dose of a GI lubricant (ie cat hairball medication Miralax, lactulose or food grade mineral oil). These can be beneficial for getting the glass slipping through the gut.

While doing this, we do need to keep a close eye on Bella. The cough will likely settle in a few days but red flags of trouble or obstruction include restlessness, lethargy, vomiting with blood or coffee ground type material, inability to keep any food or water down, anorexia, pale gums, straining to pass feces or passage of black feces (digested blood). If you see these signs, then having her seen would be best for her vet to have a feel of her belly +/- an xray to see where everything is and whether it will pass on its own.

Overall, situations like these always require us to be on our toes and tread with care. At this point, you can consider the above steps for Bella while keeping a close eye. But if you see any of those other signs, then having her examined +/- xrayed would be ideal so you can appreciate whether there is any risk. But otherwise we'd hope to use the above to push this safely through and out the other end over the next 48 hours.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

******************************************************************************

I aim to provide best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**