Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog got into a bag of "beauty chews" from Whiole foods…

Customer Question
My dog got into...

My dog got into a bag of "beauty chews" from Whiole foods which contain hydraulic acid, vitamin C, collagen . She seemed fine and then got into our trash and ate some rib bones about seven hours later she threw up two very large piles with pieces of bone and blood

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. The Expert will know if your dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?

Izzy and she is 7

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Izzy?

She's a very strong stomach and she gets into the trash if we accidentally leave it out but t this has never happened before

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
11/14/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 8 months ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

How long ago did she have the bones?

Do you think she brought those all back up?

How much blood did you see in her vomit (spoonful, cupful, etc)?

Can she keep any water down?

Are her gums pink or white/pale? Moist or sticky?

If you press on his belly, any tensing, tenderness, discomfort, or pain?

Any black or blood stool?

Sorry for the late response , she did not throw up today, she kept water down . But it very lethargic. Only feed her about a third of her dog food today and she ate it and kept it down. Did my check her poop yet but she had difficulty pooping

No worries,

I am glad to hear that she has only had mild signs thus far, but I do have to note that the bone material is actually more a concern then the beauty chews are. This is because while the chews could cause GI upset, the bones can cause gut damage and even blockage (its one of the most common blockage due to the bone's curve). So, if she is straining to pass stool we do need to be careful here.

Now provided she has nice pink gums, no belly pain and since she isn't vomiting, we can start some supportive care. We will want to start her on small meals of bland food (ie cooked rice with boiled chicken/white fish or scrambled egg) for the next few days. Whichever you choose, you consider adding a spoonful of canned pumpkin to the meals. The fiber in the pumpkin will further encourage any bone material (and stool) to move through the GI. As well, cat hairball treatment or a GI lubricant (ie Latulose, Miralax, food grade mineral oil) can also be added to these meals to help it slip through.

While encouraging passage of these bones, you do want to keep a close eye on her. Specifically, we need to keep an eye out for any belly tenderness or pain when you press on her stomach, pale gums, straining to pass feces, passing blood in vomit or stools, appetite loss, restlessness, or black feces. If you did see any of these; then those are all red flags of a possible blockage or trauma and would require her to be seen urgently by your vet for an exam +/- xray.

Overall, we do always have to tread with care in situations like this. So, at this stage and in this situation, we’d want to use the above steps to encourage this to pass while we keep a close eye on her. If we can do this for the next 48 hours and get her passing these safely, then we'd suspect we are out of the woods here.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

******************************************************************************

I aim to provide best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**