Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I woke up to find my 20 lb beagle chewing on amoxicillin…

Customer Question
I woke up to...

I woke up to find my 20 lb beagle chewing on amoxicillin pills

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. What is the dog's name and age?

Sadie and she's 1

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Sadie?

Not that I can think of

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
I counted the pills and she did not swallow any of the capsules but about six of them were broken open and there was powder all over the floor
11/14/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian replied 8 months ago
Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian

Hi,I'm Dr Scott. Welcome to JustAnswer, I am working on your question now, you can expect a written reply sometime within the next ten minutes or so.

Hello again,

I have worked out an answer for you below.

1. Good news! Antibiotics such as amoxicillin { which is often used in the dog } have a very high margin of safety in the dog, so much so that doses of many times the recommended dose rate would have few if any side effects, and it does not sound to me as if Sadie got very much, she just played with the capsules. That said a few dogs may perhaps experience a mild transient bout of vomiting and / or diarrhoea, but I would not expect worse than that.

2. The are no special measure you need take other than just keeping an eye on your dog, the chances are she will be just fine. But in any case I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back in the unlikely event that Sadie's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

it has been about seven hours since I found her and she doesn't seem to be showing any symptoms or acting any different at all, if she was going to show symptoms would it have happened by now?

Glad to talk this over with you further ...

1. Well if a bout of gastroenteritis were going to occur it could happen anywhere up to 48 hours after ingestion, but at the end of the day this is not likely to be a very serious situation whatever happens.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how Sadie is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the amoxycillin pills incident...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers