Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

He got ahold of meth & i cant reach a vet. Methamphetamine…

Customer Question
He got ahold of...

He got ahold of meth & i cant reach a vet

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with the dog?

Methamphetamine poisoning

Veterinarian's Assistant: Did you see what the dog ate?

He came in with a baggy in his mouth

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?

He is a puppy & weighs about 3#. He is showing all signs of exposure

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
11/14/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 5 months ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

How are you both just now?

What signs are you seeing?

How much could he have had here?

He is very agitated & hyper. He did just eat

Ok, I am glad to hear that he is only showing those signs thus far.

That is positive since high doses would cause tremors and seizures by this stage. So, if he is just hyper/agitated, we'd want to keep monitoring and try to keep him calm. Of course, if he is very, very agitated or show any progression of signs, then it would be ideal to get your local vet involved so that IV fluids +/- supportive care (is anti-seizure medication, muscle relaxants, etc) if necessary. Otherwise, again we'd want to keep him calm, keep things quiet, and dimly lit (to reduce seizure stimulation). Eating is good but also keep him drinking if you can to flush this out. As meth sometimes causes diarrhea, if he has any GI upset, you treat this by offering a light diet option. Examples of an easily digestible diet include cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled egg, or meat baby food (as long as its free from garlic or onion powder). Ideally, we want to offer this as small frequent meals to keep the stomach settled. And if this is the peak of his signs, we should see this start to wane in the next few hours for him.

Overall, meth does cause these signs quite quickly after onset (which is why we are limited in absorption interventions for these cases) but usually mild cases will settle with time and supportive care. So, just keep things quiet/calm at home and encourage him to drink. But any worsening of signs and we'd want him on fluids to just get this out quicker and get him back to normal.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

******************************************************************************

I aim to provide best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian