Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog spayed last Tuesday. She has a lump along her incision…

Customer Question
Dog spayed last Tuesday...

Dog spayed last Tuesday. She has a lump along her incision line. She has been more active than we would like; I suspect she has a seroma. Anything to be concerned about?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Some lumps are serious and some aren't. Let's see what the Veterinarian has to say. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?

No...not hot, no drainage, not painful.

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
11/14/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Peter, Veterinarian replied 5 months ago
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply ASAP.

1- Is she licking the incision?

2- Can you post a picture of the incision on this chat?

Did you receive the requested information?

Yes, I was looking at the picture. When you press on the incision does it feel hard or soft like liquid?

It is soft. Not hard, not tender, no pus.

Please give me 5-10 minutes to type your answer. No need to accept the phone call request. Thank you.

Thank you.

Friend, you are right to suspect that there is likely a seroma in the incision. It is also important to remember that there are 2 more layers of sutures below the skin that will often become inflamed (normal) creating a small lump which may be contributing to the swelling you are seeing.

I would recommend you minimize her movement; no running. Activity should be limited to urinate and defecate on a leash. Apply warm and cold compresses on the incision. You start with warm compresses for 2-3 minutes then finish with cold; this will help move the fluid from the incision; do this 2-3 times a day. Follow up with your family veterinarian.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service. If you have any follow-up questions don't hesitate to ask. If finished, please take a moment to rate my service. See you again soon!

Dr. Peter

Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian