Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My mother and myself had a 10 year old dog a cougar hound…

Customer Question
Hi my name is*****...

Hi my name is*****: What sort of animal are we talking about?

My mother and myself had a 10 year old dog a cougar hound she passed away this morning. Before she was sick through out the night, wrestles, panting a lot and sluggish nor did she want to eat or drink. based on what I described I was wandering if you might no or have an idea of what she died from.

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the dog. What is the dog's name?

Daisy she died just wandering what of.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
11/14/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian replied 8 months ago
Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
I’m sorry to hear about your loss. The most likely cause of that acute lethargy, panting and then death would be a bleed into the abdomen.This is due to a tumor on the spleen that ruptures. If we catch them early enough we can do surgery to remove it. Even in those dogs, 70% will have cancer that metastasizes and causes death within 2-4 months.Ultimately it’s pretty painless as these guys pass out from blood loss before they pass away.I hope this helps bring some closure.