Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

He's a 2year old Golden retriever mainly on a diet of Black…

He's a 2year old...

He's a 2year old Golden retriever mainly on a diet of Black Hawk pellets (salmon based) which he's loved until Sunday night. He ate some dog biscuits this morning and yesterday ran and swam but will not eat the pellets?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. The Expert will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?

Sherlock and 2 years old

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Sherlock?

Not that I'm aware of.

11/14/2017
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you today! Please give me a few moments to respond and I will be back momentarily!

I am so sorry to hear your dog is having such difficulties recently with appetite.

- Begin pepcid 0.25 mg / pound every 12 hours to help settle the stomach 15 minutes prior to offering small more frequent meals
- Foods to try: boiled lean meat such as bison and white rice. Bison has a more "gamey" odor and dogs tend to be more interested when this is offered. Other options include jarred baby foods meat varieties (try several types to see if there is one preferred, often it is pork for some reason that dogs are interested in), rotisserie chicken, even canned kitten foods have a strong odor and can increase interest in food

- Try to avoid the more acidic foods if possible

- Simethicone (gas x) once to twice daily to reduce gas production and cramping if you note any issues with this

Hopefully this will give you some ideas of things to try today and increase the appetite. I would advise discussing with your vet possible causes of the reduced appetite and your vet will likely dispense an anti nausea medication +/- an appetite stimulant to increase interest in eating again if possible

If the above is effective then slow return (over 3-5 days) to normal diet should be fine but again if there is no change please consider a veterinary visit to determine why Sherlock is not eating well.

Please let me know how else I can assist you both today. I truly hope your dog starts eating for you soon

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION at the top of your screen (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

Thank you

You are very welcome

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both

For some reason I initially saw the rating but is not reflecting your rating now. Would you mind repeating the rating? I would be grateful if you would rate our chat with the stars at the top of the screen so I am compensated for my time. Thank you and best of luck to you both, truly!

problem solved

That is good to hear that Sherlock is eating for you again, thank you for the update :)

If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept with the stars on the top of your screen so I may be compensated for my time. If you are having any difficulties you can also state your rating (excellent, good, fair) in our chat as an alternative. Thank you!

Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian