Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

8 month old lab just ate a bowl of pasta with cherry

Customer Question
8 month old lab...

8 month old lab just ate a bowl of pasta with cherry tomatoes and basil .. need to worry ?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What sort of animal are we talking about?

8 month old lab puppy

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
11/14/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Peter, Veterinarian replied 6 months ago
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply ASAP.

Friend, the basil, cherry tomatoes, and pasta are not toxic to dogs, so, not really a big concern other than mild gastrointestinal problems like vomiting or diarrhea as with any dietary indiscretion. I would keep an eye on him for the next 24 hours if he develops vomiting or diarrhea this is what you can do:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or Imodium. 2- No food or water for 8-12 hours. Need to give his gastrointestinal tract time to rest. 3- After 8-12 hours offer a small amount of water. Wait half hour, if no vomiting, offer a small amount of rice (50%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (50%) 4-6 times a day. Keep on this diet for several days then wean into regular diet. 4- If he continues to vomit after doing the above he will need to be seen by your family veterinarian for a hands on examination.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service. If you have any follow-up questions don't hesitate to ask. If finished, please take a moment to rate my service. See you again soon!

Dr. Peter

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Peter
he is great ... no issues .. happy to know there was nothing toxic... thank you for your prompt response

Fantastic! Thank you for the update. :)

You're welcome. :)

Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian