Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I have a 14 yr old plus old English sheepdog that has issues…

Customer Question
I have a 14 yr...
I have a 14 yr old plus old English sheepdog that has issues with sleeping through the night. She will go to sleep then wake every hour or so through the night. During the day she sleeps like rock. Any suggestions on getting her to sleep at night.
Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
11/13/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian replied 8 months ago
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian

Hi. My name is***** Thank you for your question about Lucky. Is she getting up during the night to go to the bathroom? Do you feel that he's as active during the day or getting as much physical stimulation as he has in the past?

She is not getting up to go to the bathroom. At 14 and a half years she does not get the exercise as she did at age 2- 12. She has stenosis in her back and has issues getting up. We left her up and after that she walk to do her business.

Alright. In a situation like this, one of the first things to consider to get her to better sleep through the night is to actually help her to be more active / comfortable during the day so she's not banking up on sleep then. I would highly recommend a trip to your vet so they can weigh her, check her over, and then get her started on an oral pain medication to help with her arthritis. When that is better controlled, she can be more active during the day and go on walks with you to get her more stimulation during the day. I would definitely then do a good walk prior to bedtime to get her good and ready to be tired to then sleep through the night. Physical activity like this would be very good to start with to get her the chance to sleep through the night. Another consideration to add in is melatonin use. I would start with the increased activity and pain management to help with that.

Thanks but we have tried several different pain meds. After several trips to several different vets the feedback is she is not in any pain but has anxiety issues at night. However no one has be able to address a med that will get her to sleep with through the night. Music , lights, thunder jacket trazadol and still sleepless during the night.

I would try making her more active through the day. Going on a mile walk or two mile walk prior to bed time can work wonders. Curious as to why there would be "anxiety" at night when it would seem it should be the other way around - during the day when owners are gone.

Due to the stenosis in her back she cannot walk long distances. Small walks are all she can handle at her age, usually inside the yard.

If she can't walk long distances, that would indicate to me that she's having discomfort. As far as pain medications that were tried, what ones were they?

Melatonin is something that is used for sleep disorders - nocturnal activity. It is something that can be easily tried to see if it helps and is pretty well tolerated.

We have tried this as well prior to going to bed.

Shoot. An anxiety medication could be tried like fluoxetine.

At what does for a 50 lb dog. Would Prozac be better than Valium

When I'm using it in a 50 pound dog for anxiety issues, I will start with 20 mg orally once a day. There is no way to know what drug would be best. Trial periods are done to see what the response to them is.

Dose AM or PM

If the issues seem to be more at night, maybe an early evening dosing would be a good point to start at. There are no exacts here. Again, the trial period and seeing the response is key.