Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I have a 5.5 week old puppy who hasn't been eating the gruel…

Customer Question
Hi, I have a...

Hi, I have a 5.5 week old puppy who hasn't been eating the gruel like the rest of the pups in the litter. He has preferred to get milk from his dam but we're weaning so trying to keep him off her nipples. So today my partner fed him raw ground beef and he ate it all up - a small amount in the morning. And he was fine. Then at lunch he ate only a very little bit of the gruel (it's just warm kibble and warm water). Then an hour or so later, my partner fed him more raw ground beef - maybe a 1/3 cup or so. And now the pup is not very active. He's choosing to rest and sleep instead... he's not interested in running around or greeting me when I go in the play area. He hasn't pooped yet. doesn't seem like he's in pain but hard to say. He wags his tail a bit and walks a little but then goes and lays down.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. The Expert will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name?

DuMaine he's a vizsla pup..in a litter of 6 pups

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
11/13/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian replied 5 months ago
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I AM NOT SET UP TO MAKE PHONE CALLS, BUT I WOULD BE HAPPY TO ANSWER ANY QUESTIONS YOU HAVE ONLINE. THE WEBSITE SENDS THE REQUESTS; NOT MYSELF. He probably has gastrointestinal upset from the raw ground beef. Not surprising. A pancreatitis is also possible. Worse case is if he developed an infection from the raw meat. I would try getting a puppy milk replacer and mixing it with some canned puppy food (just small amounts) and see if he will eat that. Usually that does the trick, then you can slowly wean them off the milk replacer and eventually get them on the puppy kibble. If he is still acting the same way tomorrow, I would have your vet check him out for sure. If he doesn't have an appetite, starts vomiting, has pale gums, has bloody stool or seems painful/uncomfortable in the abdomen; I would have your vet check him out immediately. Puppies this young have a difficult time compensating for illnesses. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. IF YOU ARE SATISFIED WITH MY ANSWER, PLEASE RATE IT. Rating it is the only way I get compensated for helping you, and we can still continue our conversation after rating. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Asking more specific questions usually helps a lot. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. John

Hello. I was just following up to see how DuMaine is doing and to see if you have any other questions.

Dr. John
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian