Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

He is a 12 year old neutered dog and last evening had an…

Customer Question
He is a 12...

He is a 12 year old neutered dog and last evening had an enlarged penis, which was still inside the skin but was rock hard, I was going to take him to the emergency room but having walked him around for about 20 minutes everything =went back to normal, should I be concerned?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?

A wound on the foot?

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?

He has no eyes due to progressive retinal atrophy which caused glaucoma and ulcers - he is a very healthy not overweight 12 year old

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
11/13/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian replied 5 months ago
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I AM NOT SET UP TO MAKE PHONE CALLS, BUT I WOULD BE HAPPY TO ANSWER ANY QUESTIONS YOU HAVE ONLINE. THE WEBSITE SENDS THE REQUESTS; NOT MYSELF. If everything is back to normal, and he is not painful or acting sick, it should be okay to monitor it at this point. If it happens again, I would have your vet or the emergency vet check it out. It was most likely nothing to be concerned about. I would check the opening of his prepuce to make sure there is nothing obstructing it, including a lot of hair. If it was 2 rounded objects you noticed on either side of the penis (like the picture below) that has you worried, it should be okay. There is a gland there that normally does that. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

https://www.google.com/search?q=bulbus+glandis+dog&rlz=1C1RFPM_enUS684US684&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwivp6GIv7zXAhUGQyYKHTa3AugQ_AUICigB&biw=1366&bih=675#imgrc=jcCpkcNnPYLbtM:

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. IF YOU ARE SATISFIED WITH MY ANSWER, PLEASE RATE IT. Rating it is the only way I get compensated for helping you, and we can still continue our conversation after rating. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Asking more specific questions usually helps a lot. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.

Hello. I was just following up to see how your dog is doing and to see if you have any other questions.

Dr. John
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian