Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

I caught my Pomeranian eating grass 2 nights ago and she’s

Hi, I caught my Pomeranian...
Hi, I caught my Pomeranian eating grass 2 nights ago and she’s been acting weird ever since
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with your Pomeranian?
Customer: Hi pearl, I caught my Pomeranian eating grass 2 nights ago. She’s been acting strange ever since
JA: Where does your Pomeranian seem to hurt?
Customer: Weird hacking noise, she is still eating and drinking though
JA: Can you see anything that looks wrong or different?
Customer: No, I opened her mouth and couldn’t see anything. Do you think it could be a respiratory infection?
JA: OK. Nothing visually obvious. I'll do all I can to help. There are all sorts of infections your Pomeranian can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. What is the Pomeranian's name and age?
Customer: Coconut, she’s around 9. I adopted her when she was 5 and they didn’t know the exact age
JA: What is the Pomeranian's name?
Customer: Coconut
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Coconut?
Customer: She’s been a healthy pup, only had 1 ear infection since I’ve had her
11/13/2017
Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Deb and will do my best to help with this concern about Coconut.
Please give me a few minutes to type back a response for you. Deb

There actually could be several different possible explanations for her symptoms but since she's otherwise eating and drinking and not acting lethargic, then this isn't likely to be too serious.

Ingestion of objects such as sticks or rawhide, grass, or anything that could cause damage to the back of the throat when ingested might explain her behavior; since she was eating grass prior to her hacking, then this would certainly be a possibility. If this is the problem, then it should resolve pretty quickly…usually within just a few days. I tend to recommend a diet of soft or moistened food (avoid dry kibble) for these patients so that further damage/irritation is avoided.

As to over the counter treatment options, cough suppressants can be given although I'm often hesitant to use them if kennel cough is the problem. I want those secretions removed from the upper airways and I rarely want to inhibit this reflex.

The dose would be 0.25 to 1 mg/lb 2-3 times a day. You just want to double check labels and ensure that the formulations only contain this ingredient although inclusion of Guaifensin is fine.

​If she worsens in any way or doesn't start to show signs of improvement in another day or so, then a vet visit may be a wise move.

I hope this helps, Deb

​Another possible explanation could be Kennel cough which is either secondary to a viral or bacterial infection and can be contagious between dogs. If a bacterial infection, then these dogs respond to oral antibiotics pretty quickly.

But if this is a virus , then it will have to run it's course....which is usually between 10-14 days. Kennel cough tends to worse before it gets better and gradually improves rather than abruptly stopping unless this is a bacterial infection and antibiotics are started.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you, I’m going to keep a close eye on her. If she doesn’t get better in a few days I’ll take her to the vet. I’m probably over reacting but she’s my baby.

I hope this helps, Deb

Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian

I think there's a problem with the site since it keeps repeating what I've typed:( My apologies.

​But your plan sounds reasonable to me since she's otherwise not acting ill. Best of luck with her, Deb

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian