Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I have a 4 pound 3 year old toy poodle. He is a very picky…

Customer Question
Hi. I have a...

Hi. I have a 4 pound 3 year old toy poodle. He is a very picky eater & my vet tells me he is underweight. I have tried every food brand, including very expensive human great fresh food for pets. I have also tried human rice, turkey, chicken & meat. He likes it for one day & won't touch it again the next . Any ideas how to get him to gain weight? He has lost .3 pounds over the last year. thx.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name?

Lamb

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Lamb?

No; he is healthy otherwise

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
11/13/2017
Dog Veterinarian: DocPaul, Veterinarian replied 5 months ago
DocPaul
DocPaul, Veterinarian

Hi.

Dr. Paul Brazzell here.

My own dog was about the pickiest eater I have ever worked with.

I would recommend that you try the following:

Warm up the food

Canned food versus dry food

Add garlic powder or onion powder to the food

Consider mixing a NO salt chicken broth with the food

Let's see how these ideas work

Okay?
Paul

Hi, thx.So we have already tried multiple different canned foods. He likes them initially, then stops eating after a day or two.
Same with the no salt chicken broth.I can try the garlic powder, but I thought garlic was bad for dogs, no?How about 80/20 ground beef. Is that a good idea for a toy poodle?
Any vitamins I can try?Right now his diet is Primal Freeze Dried Nuggets : beef formula.
Thx,
Anthony

I would not eat the freeze dried food either :(

Yes try the garlic powder it is safe

Yes you can cook some ground beef and add it to the food- make sure you take all of the fat off of it first though

Paul

DocPaul
DocPaul
DocPaul, Veterinarian