Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Very healthy and happy... eats twice what my other dog does…

Customer Question
Very healthy and happy.....

Very healthy and happy... eats twice what my other dog does but has become very thin... They've got a really big yard so I can't really see her BM. Saw her dragging her butt on carpet... does she have a tape worm or something?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. There are all sorts of infestations the dog can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. What is the dog's name and age?

Dally... She's about 6 yo. Border Collie.... Spayed 2 years ago.... She got a little bit fat after being spayed.. but she's eating all the time and getting very slim

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name?

Her name is*****: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Dally?

That's about all I know. I'm her 4th and Final owner...

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
11/13/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Sara, Veterinarian replied 7 months ago
Dr. Sara
Dr. Sara, Veterinarian

Hi, this is Dr. Sara. That is definitely concerning. How long have you had Dally? what do you feed her and how much? When was the last time she had a stool sample checked and is she on monthly heartworm prevention (Heartgard, or Interceptor)?

I've had her 3 years.. I Free Feed and both dogs are eating Purena Pro Plan ... Lamb and rice. None of my dogs have ever had a stool sample as they're on a couple acre fenced yard and have the run of the place. No heart worm treatment... I'm in Montana and have been told that's not around here?

Hm you may not have Heartworm disease but I would bet there are intestinal parasites since the eggs live in the soil. So she has access to food all the time. I would definitely recommend to deworm her with Drontal Plus, 2 doses; 10-14 days apart just to take the possibility of parasites off the "rule-out" list. Is it possible for the next week or so to monitor what her stool looks like? I know it's tough with a large amount of space, but it would help to know what is happening.

Just to clarify, the Heartworm preventative also deworms for intestinal parasites. Do you have any other questions?

Hi there, I have to step away and see appointments from 2 to 4. I will check back after that to see about continuing the conversation.