Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My little coton du tulear is acting different for a couple…

Customer Question
My little coton du...

My little coton du tulear is acting different for a couple of days now, she backs away when I try to reach towards her to pet her, she is also doing this with my 11 year old daughter, otherwise everything is normal routine...what do you think this behaviour is???

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What sort of animal are we talking about?

Coton du Tulear, she is 15 lbs

Veterinarian's Assistant: Maybe I'm confused. I thought you had a problem with a pet. Is that correct?

Yes, her breed is coton du tulear, a dog

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name?

Chloe

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Chloe?

No, everything is normal except her backing up everytime I reach for her

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
11/13/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Gabby, Dog Veterinarian replied 5 months ago
Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Dog Veterinarian

Hello. My name is***** am happy to help you with your question. Give me just a moment to respond and type.

W​hat is Chloe's age? It is going to be a bit difficult to tell you if it is pain related or just behavior without doing an exam in person. You could check her mouth and teeth, move her head side to side and up and down to check her for neck pain, and press down on her spine for back pain, and press into her abdomen for abdominal pain. Also look in her ears for redness or drainage. But to be honest it takes years of veterinary training to do a good exam and know how to motion joints for pain. So if you can not find anything wrong it would be a very good idea to have a vet examine her and see if there is pain. I would do that before thinking it is behavioral. Does that make sense to you? Do you have any other questions for me?

Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Dog Veterinarian