Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

He ate my vyvanse 40 mg pill. Teddy 1 human year old. He is…

Customer Question
He ate my vyvanse...

He ate my vyvanse 40 mg pill

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. The Expert will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?

Teddy 1 human year old

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?

He is 15 pounds has all his shots nd is a maltese pomeranian mix

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name?

Teddy

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
11/13/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Kelly Hill, Dog Veterinarian replied 5 months ago
Kelly Hill
Kelly Hill, Dog Veterinarian

Hello. This is Dr. Hill. How long ago did he eat the pill?

around 2 and a half hours ago

Okay. Is he showing any signs of agitation?

I am not near him. I do not know. and i don't think there is anyone near him right now

He got a 6 mg/kg dose and typically we will see signs of agitation at about 1 mg/kg. Can you get him and take him to a local veterinary hospital?

is it very urgent?

I am afraid that it could be. You can see very serious signs at 10 mg/kg and he is close to that dose. Ideally, he needs to be seen by a local veterinarian. Clinical signs of toxicity will start within 30 minutes of ingestion. Many patients need additional support for cardiac or neurologic issues caused by the medication.

what could happen to him?

Heart arrhythmias, blood pressure issues, seizures, altered mentation and abnormal gait.

Is there someone who could go check on him for you and take him to your local vet?

Kelly Hill
Kelly Hill
Kelly Hill, Dog Veterinarian