Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I am from czech republic and my dog is dying, said doctor.

Customer Question
Hi, I am from...

Hi, I am from czech republic and my dog is dying, said doctor. She has kidney failure - probably she is poisoned, and pneumonia. We are just waiting and I want to do something... is there any posibility? She got some injections...

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Did you see what your dog ate?

No, because she ran away for a few hours with neighboor"s dog which did a hole to our fence. They were probably at field, we live in village... She returned absolutetly wet and next day she slept all day, the second day she was disoriented little bit, now is fifth day and it is only worse ...

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your dog?

Only that she ran for a few hours, two or three.. i dont know what else ...

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 day by:
11/14/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 5 months ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner, but wanted to touch base with you.

Now with regards ***** ***** dog's situation, this is a precarious position she is in and one that has a guarded prognosis. Pneumonia can be treated --often with strong antibiotics, anti-inflammatories, decongestants/bronchodilators, +/- oxygen if she is struggling to breathe. That said, kidney failure is not so treatable. It will depend how severe the kidney damage is to whether we can help her recover or at least manage. So, you need to check with her vet about how severe the kidney results (SDMA, urea, creatinine, & phosphorus on bloods and urine results). If they are very severe, then its not likely we can get through this but if they aren't supportive of total kidney shut down then IV fluids are going to be key here. Those will help flush out toxins but also flush out the metabolites the kidneys cannot filter. There are also medications (ie Benazapril, Azodyl, phosphate binders) that can help support kidney function. If the cells of the kidney are just damaged, then we may see improvement with treatment. But again if the cells are dead and we cannot get those blood results back into normal range and most importantly her feeling better; then we'd have to consider letting her go peacefully.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

******************************************************************************

I aim to provide best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**

Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian