Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I'd like to talk to you about my dog, a one year old female…

Customer Question
Hello; I'd like to talk to...
Hello;
I'd like to talk to you about my dog, a one year old female German Shepherd, Kailee.
She got very ill yesterday. She also was very lethargic yesterday. She did eat breakfast yesterday normally. Her energy was good then. She then went to sleep and kept sleeping through most of the day. She seemed very groggy. I kept watching her and was not sure what was going on. Around dinner time she had absolutely no appetite. I couldn't even lure her with a piece of cheese or bite of hot dog which normally she'd go nuts about. I kept watching her and her energy stayed low.She did poop last night and pee. But then I noticed her inner ears and gums were very pale white which is not normal at all for her. Then I noticed her breathing seemed slightly labored. So I packed it up and took her to the emergency vet hospital.. They took xrays and said some of the loops of her bowels seemed somewhat pulled together and they were suspecting a linear foreign body at first. She also had a temperature of about 105. They wanted to keep her to do a barium study. That was about midnight last night. They called this morning at around 7:30 and said that the barium is mostly still in her stomach and she had delayed gastric emptying. They didn't know if she had some kind of stomach blockage or not.They have her on antibiotics. They said the whitish ears and gums might have been her body pulling fluids from extremities to deal with the digestive issue. Her fever came down to 103. Her blood work is showing infection and/or inflammation. She also just had her first heat about two weeks ago.We were so worried about a possible foreign body in her stomach or pyometra we gave permission for them to call someone in to do an ultrasound. The ultrasound did not show any foreign body or problem with her uterus. When they catheterized her they shaved her abdomen though and it turned out that she has quite a rash of red spots on her groin area. She isn't scratching at them but some seem somewhat blistered and the spots are fairly large. She has allergies normally and takes hydroxadrine but also the last month suddenly even with taking that her ears have also been so itchy that she's been digging at them to the point of scratching out fur there leaving spots where she's done that. I don't know if maybe there could be some bacterial infection going on that cause have contributed to all this but we're at a loss. She seemed much stronger tonight and got somewhat of an appetite back. We took her home with us mainly cause she was very distressed being at the hospital. Since we have gotten home her ears, once again, have gone from fairly pink to a little bit of pink in the center and more whitish color to the outside edges of the ear. She ate some food for dinner and has taken in some water but mostly slept. She peed when she got home. She hasn't pooped since last night which probably is understandable because she took in no food and only intake was the barium since yesterday morning.She had her first heat about three weeks ago and only bled for about one day. She licked herself incessantly for about 10 days. That's why we were concerned about possible pyometra.She also just went to a new groomer for the first time two days ago also. I've been wondering if the rash on her abdomen might possibly be a reaction to something used at the new groomers.
The vet there had no idea about the skin rash or the ears. We're kind of at a loss to understand what the heck may be going on and if her ears getting more whitish is a bad sign. Her temperature was back to normal around 5pm today. Any ideas about what may be going on?
Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 3 days by:
11/17/2017
Dog Veterinarian: PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse replied 5 months ago
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

I am very sorry to see that no one has reached out to you before now. I just came online and found that your question had not been addressed. How is your companion at this time?

Dr. John
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian